It is very easy to get into an unhealthy vicious cycle.
When actions and interactions have negative outcomes over and over, we feel anxious and low. If these negative feelings are not dealt with, and not interrupted, there is a high chance that it can progress to depression.
The more depressed we feel the less motivated we are to engage in the kinds of activities that will have positive outcomes. This, of course causes us to feel even more depressed and in turn we become less active – it then goes on and on perpetuating inertia and negativity about life.
This cycle continues until you feel very depressed and are very passive.
Depression shows itself in different forms such as:
- Inability to sleep
- Feeling guilty
- Feeling powerless
- Decreased energy
- Lack of concentration
- Change in appetite
- Excessive worry
- Constant thinking and churning
- Anxiety & Phobias
This cycle is bound to spiral downwards and leave you feeling trapped and hopeless.
Other consequences of depression:
- You become pessimistic:
- You perceive your interactions as not associated with positive outcomes.
- You become less hopeful, eventually you feel hopeless.
- You lose interest and it’s more and more difficult to do things if it requires effort.
- You wonder if something is wrong with you. You start feeling inferior and inadequate and start blaming yourself (there must be a reason for your misery).
- Because you are doing less and less you may be letting other people down – you start feeling guilty
It is vital to understand that the cycle of depression can be broken.
What we think and feel does not have to determine how we act. We don’t have to feel good to do something. Life does not have to be viewed from a deep, dark, black hole.
We can break the cycle and be in control of the depression rather than it being in control of us.
Reaching out for support and learning new skills is crucial to breaking this destructive cycle.
Feeling free to live a productive life with a clear vision for happiness and peace is your right and can be achieved.
Find your way amongst life's challenges.
Contact me on;
icon-mobile-phone 0419 033 991
icon-phone 08 8269 6853
icon-envelope [email protected]
Or fill out the form by clicking the button below.